A minor in journalism and strategic communications requires at least six regular three- or four-credit JOUR courses. Minors will also be asked to write a short paper and attend a group assessment conversation during winter term of their senior year. This is not a minor in journalism. It offers liberal-arts breadth in mass media as a discipline and thorough exposure to the practice or craft but not professional preparation for a career. A student may not complete both a major and a minor in the Department of Journalism and Mass Communications. In meeting the requirements of this discipline-based minor, a student may not use more than nine credits that are also used to meet the requirements of another major or minor.
1. Required Courses: JOUR 101, 201
2. Values and Theory: one course chosen from JOUR 221, 240, 296, 301, 318, 319, 325, 330, 338, 344, 345
3. Media Practice: one course chosen from JOUR 220, 227, 273, 280, 341, 351, 357, 365, 371, 372
4. Two additional courses in journalism and mass communications
5. Short paper and group assessment